Search This Blog

May 3, 2010

Welcome, baby girl!

A week ago, I was writing about all the changes that were happening in our family, and wondering if our baby girl would wait a little until Daniel had adapted to the new environment before making her grand entrance.

Well, it turns out, she didn't.

She came in 10 days in advance, and rushing to come out. The entire birth process took less than 2 hours! It almost started as the worst case scenario I had been afraid of: baby coming in early (before grandparents were here to be baby-sitters for Daniel), labor progressing very quickly (very little time to get organized for plan B). But fortunately, a couple of things played in our favor.

Labor started when we were all home, at night. We didn't have to rush back from work and think about the logistics of picking up Daniel from daycare. This would have been a major issue given that we barely had time to make it to the hospital as is (I only stayed in the birthing room for 20 minutes!) Our back-up baby-sitter, who lives 1 hour away, turned out to be closeby when we called her, and she was able to come in within 20 minutes. She probably wouldn't have made it on time if she had had to come from home, and we would have had to take Daniel to the hospital with us, I guess. Not ideal.
We were also lucky that we left close to Daniel's bed time, so he didn't have to spend too much time wondering what was going on and waiting for us. When he woke up the next morning, Daddy was already back. And he was the most excited big brother to come and say Hi to little sister Charlotte at the hospital. And then, the last piece of luck was that Charlotte was born during the week, so we could send Daniel to daycare while adjusting to the new baby for a few days. By the time the weekend came around, we were back at home, which made it much easier to handle.

Baby Charlotte is a healthy baby: 3.5kg, 51.5cm. Strong lungs and a good appetite!
I have to say that I didn't really start realizing what was happening until about 30 minutes after she was born. Initially, I was in a weird phase, where I didn't have enough energy to enjoy her much. I was still processing the quick change of events. 2 hours before, I had been cooking, talking to Daniel about the book we would be reading before bed time, and thinking about all the work I would have to do tomorrow. Things had changed so drastically and I had had to leave my first born at home and had now a new baby. There was no chance I would finish the work I had left pending! I was also in terrible pain for some time after the birth, the after effects of things happening so fast.

Fortunately, things got better and the recovery went fast too. I quickly started enjoying my little girl. I will report on Charlotte's first days in the next post. Stay tuned!


  1. Wow, congrats! I can't believe how fast the labor was. Were you planning to get the epidural? Did you get one in time? Wow, wow, wow!!!

  2. Congratulations! She is absolutely gorgeous! (Not that that's a surprise!)

    I can't believe everything went so fast. I'm so impressed with how cool and collected you are making it all sound.

    Holler if you need anything! I have LOTS of little girl things just waiting to have someone else use them. ;-)

  3. Thanks, Susan and Jessica.
    I didn't get the chance to get the epidural. They were about to give it to me when Charlotte made a big push towards the outside world. And then, she was out, within a few minutes. Yes, it was really that fast!
    Jessica: I think we are all set for now, grandparents came in today, and it's already making a huge difference. (although I can always take girl stuff from you, Jessica, if you want to pass along!)